Friday, September 18, 2009

Third Post of the Night Has No Broken Pun

I am envious of people with serious language chops. Always have been, as far as I can remember.

I'm envious of the Europeans here, who speak near perfect English but who say they are glad of the opportunity to improve it. I think that they have a serious advantage over me. They already are in the habit of thinking in another language. It's not that much of a jump, then, to start thinking in Japanese.

I'm envious of the Europeans in other ways, as well. I see now the extreme advantage of living in Europe (for those who would like to be polyglots or to be culturally-well-versed.) Their countries are small and close together in comparison to the US. Travel is not really a big deal. Maybe it is a hassle, I don't know.

I'm envious, now, of everyone who went abroad in college. What a great idea that would have been. Not just for the experience of another country, but also for meeting different exchange students from all over. I've met some amazing, brilliant, funny, and very kind people here already, and I'm not even counting the Japanese students I've been talking with.

In short, I'm filled with envy. So don't envy me, whatever you do, even if I got an iPhone two days ago.

(Where did that come from? What's in this green tea stuff, anyway?)

No comments: