Friday, September 18, 2009

Broken Japanese: the Placement Test

The test was about as difficult as I'd imagined it'd be. I doubt I can go into details here, but I can at least tell you that it was not multiple choice. Either you knew it or you didn't.

Waseda's Japanese classes are split up into 8 levels, 1 being for beginners and 8 being for near-fluent folks. I got level 3, which is the low end of the intermediate level.

Level 3 is pretty disappointing for me, but I'm willing to admit it's probably right for me in some skillsets. My kanji is probably at level 3. My speaking ability might be 3, too, although I'm doing pretty well day-to-day. Writing (self-expressively) is also probably 3. But Listening, Grammar, and Reading should probably be higher. Luckily, I can go up one level, if the teachers see I'm doing very well in the first week.

(I feel a cram coming on...)

Many people also feel that the test results were not accurate. Some feel that they just got lucky with the test and are scared of the high level they are in. Others are below me, when I know for certain that their speaking is on par with if not better than mine.

We'll just have to see how this pans out. Registration is tomorrow afternoon, and the first week of classes starts on September 28. (Class details to follow in another post, after I've taken a few.)

1 comment:

nicole said...

I know how you must feel~
I studied Japanese for 4.5 years and lived with a Japanese exchange student for a year. I then took Japanese in local colleges for two semesters (with a year between), completing 302 with an A+ (the highest class my school offered).

I then transferred to UVA and they tried to place me in 102. (serious WTF moment)
Some people just don't take tests well. My nerves got to me. I didn't take 102, I forced myself into 201 and the first half of the year was review with 202 being half review and half new things. (Though I knew things that hadn't been taught yet). Then I went to study abroad and placed in the highest class! (aside from those that were native speakers)

Its just because different schools have different lesson plans and textbooks. It's a very hard thing to place someone without interviewing each and every one of them personally.

Good Luck!