Friday, September 11, 2009

Broke in Tokyo Tip: Hyakuen Shop

You may think this is an obvious tip for the frugal Tokyoite. You may already know about the wonders of the 100-yen shop. You may already have been to one many times for food, clothing, storage solutions, stationary, cleaning supplies, basically anything and everything.

I knew about it, too, and I still made the mistake of not going to a Hyakuen shop as soon as I got to my new place.

For those who don't know, a Hyakuen (100 yen) shop sells everything for 105 yen (the extra 5 is tax). You may think, "Oh, it's like a dollar store back in the States." Oh ho ho no, it's so much more.

The dollar stores in the States have tons of crap that I never really need, plus anything from such stores breaks within an hour. The Hyakuen shops in Japan have tons of stuff that I do need, and it's not really that bad in quality. Far from breaking within the first hour, I still use some 105-yen items I purchased over 4 years ago.

I got to my dorm and found that I needed dishes, shampoo, etc. I followed some people to a supermarket. Big mistake. I could have found everything I bought at the supermarket and more at the Hyakuen shop.

If you specifically like higher-quality shower supplies, here's a more specific tip for you. In Japan, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash comes two ways: in pumps and refill bags. The pumps cost about twice as much as the bags. I got refill bags at the store, and then I bought Hyakuen-shop empty pumps, saving at least 300 yen per item.

Make the Hyakuen shop your first stop. I wouldn't buy everything soley from it; I do like better food and teas. But it will get you started living cheaply in Tokyo.

No comments: