Sunday, March 7, 2010

Breaking the Silence

To all those who thought I had fallen off the face of the Earth: you were right. But I've climbed back up now, with hardly anything else broken.

I'm finding that action generates more of the same action. Confusion begets more confusion. Work begets more work. Interest in Japanese begets more interest in Japanese. And writing begets more writing.

These days I am keeping a private diary on http://750words.com/. Why keep a private diary online? Well, I can access it anywhere, and it gives me points and data. It analyzes my writing speed, my topics, even if I am using more I's than he's or she's (obviously I use WAY more I's). Why keep one at all? I read somewhere that it's good to get a few pages out of you every day, and if no one sees it it doesn't have to be spectacular.

Not that I'm writing Pulitzer-prize-winning stuff at the moment here...

It's still spring break here. In the first two weeks or so in February, I mainly stayed in my room, watching anime (Utena, Skip Beat, Chobits, Bakemonogatari) and J-dramas (Liar Game, Kurosagi, Nobuta wo Produce) and Mad Men. At some point I got sick of just staying in my room, so I started going out with friends. I also started online dating again and found some really interesting people.

Eventually I started going to the school gym, too. It's super cheap: about 22 bucks for the year. Well worth it. I'm going about 5-6 days a week. I do cardio on the bike for half an hour, then either upper-body and back or legs and abs, in a Body-for-Life kind of way. I'm starting to use the bike in a High Intensity Interval Training kind of way, which is really exhausting. I feel much better. Activity begets activity. I'm much more active now, full of energy for going out in Tokyo and checking out markets, temples, plum blossoms which are blooming now (which means that cherries are on their way).

I'm still working on Japanese through the break. I'm writing a Japanese diary (writing begets more writing) on Lang-8. There's an RSS feed on there if you are interested, which Google Reader can auto-translate for you.

Today I'm going to a friend's concert. She's in an amateur orchestra. I'm very excited to see it.

That's all for this morning; I still have to eat breakfast (natto and rice and mushroom soup, for your information). If you're still aware of this blog's existence, please leave a comment, so I know who my audience is.

6 comments:

AbbotOfUnreason said...

" If you're still aware of this blog's existence, please leave a comment, so I know who my audience is."

Hi. I still read your blog when the entries appear in my feed reader.

chovak said...

Nice, thanks! I still read yours, too.

Unknown said...

I'm still reading from DC!

Katie said...

I'm another Katie, still reading from the DC area.

Unknown said...

You go boy!!!!!

wade

Missy said...

Good to hear you're alive Drej! Was just thinking I owed you a letter! - MJF