Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cats and Dogs

We had a death in our dorm family last night; a one-eyed cat who loved us gaijin despite our differences. She was always friendly, although sometimes too playful (bitingly). She liked our front terrace, even though it had no shelter from rain or any comfy places to curl up. Yesterday, she saw me and rolled upside down. I didn't pet her because this action usually meant she'd be up for biting (playfully). Now I wish I had. She was run over last night. I'm not sure if her remains have been taken care of, I don't know how to request that sort of thing, and I am trying not to think about it.

So, now that I've ruined your mood, let me tell you about the good things about yesterday.
  1. I didn't fall asleep (at least not all the way) in my classes on Friday. Three hours of conversation in the morning, three hours of moderately easy grammar in the afternoon. It's hard to take that on inadequate sleep.
  2. I registered for (most of) my classes, finally.
  3. I dressed up for the Welcome Party. My suits were stilll at the cleaners, so I had to make due with brown pants and a bluish-black sportscoat. It went together better than it sounds like it did. (For those interested, I wore my white with-invisible-green bespoke shirt with my yellow dogstooth Tyrwhitt tie with Italian glass cufflinks. Let's not talk about my shoes.)
  4. The party was okay. I ate too much of the free and quite good food, as you may note below if you ever get that far.*
  5. After the offical welcome party, I went to the steps of the auditorium for kumanomi, where a lot of other students were drinking. (Drinking outdoors is legal.)
  6. We got chased away by a policeman around 10pm. (Being loud is not legal.)
  7. We went to the park, which is often the drinking place of choice.
  8. A German girl almost beat me in arm wrestling.
  9. I went home and had hot water with lemon with some good people.
Friday's Meals:

Breakfast:
natto with tomatoes and shirasu
on top of white/brown rice

Lunch:
the rest of the mabo-dofu
brown/white rice
the last bit of spinach/mushroom stuff

Dinner:
slice of grapefruit
three french fries
three cocktail wieners
two shumai
four eggrolls (small)
two tuna roll pieces
a cucumber roll piece
one big maki roll piece (egg, crab, cuke, ???)
a small triangular egg salad sandwich
a scoop of yakisoba
three fried chicken nuggets
two broiled chunks of chicken
a slice of ham
a small cup of apple juice
a small cup of sweetened iced tea
half a cream puff filled with ice cream (vanilla)

Late Night:
hot water with lemon
a handful of sweet crackers

*why I ate so much: it had been too long since lunch, it was free, it was MEAT (which is expensive here), and I had to fight with Chinese people for a clear shot to the food, which made me go into competition mode.

No comments: